July 11, 2012

Support of Local Lit (SOLL): local writer starstruck by new director of Chattanooga's Public Library System

After reading our new company’s write-up in The Pulse, a local alternative news guide, I looked at the cover and did a double-take. From where did I know the lady who the paper said was “rebooting the system” of the Chattanooga Library?

At first I assumed I recognized her from my old job where I whipped up lattes and smoothies for professionals in suits every day. Immediately I felt a pit in my stomach as I wondered if I’d been snarky to her as she innocently wondered what exactly was a “froozie.”

Kicking myself for treating our new library director rudely, instead of like royalty, I eventually realized she was a client at our brand new fitness studio! The pit in my stomach blossomed into a fresh batch of butterflies.

Later that day, a Friday, she checked in at the front desk for a workout session with one of our fantastic trainers. I remained at my station at the cafe register, researching chalkboard menus to befit our cafe with local coffee shop swag.

"Ms. Library?" I whispered in her general direction. "...smoothie?"

She walked down the hall to meet her trainer when I suddenly stopped seeing stars and berated myself for not boldy greeting her before she reached the front desk, introducing myself as Chattanooga's Next Top Writer and literary aficianado. With my passion/skills we could, together, really put Chattanooga on the map as a literary Mecca.

But when she returned from her workout, sweaty like any normal human with pores would be, I was still without a reasonable introduction.

"Oh Corinne," I thought as she left with her husband to rescue our public library system from historically abysmal underfunding, "...lead us bravely into the digital age."

No comments:

Post a Comment